For the Filling
2 C. frozen strawberries, thawed
2 C. rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces 1 /4 cup sugar
1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
For the Crust
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled 1 /2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 C. Flour
1 1/4 C. oats
1 /4 C. golden Flax seed
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice in a med. sauce pan over low heat. Bring to a boil and simmer 5-8 minutes
or until rhubarb begins to fall apart. Slowly whisk in cornstarch until sauce becomes thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool and thicken.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar together on high until fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Add in dry ingredients all at once, reduce speed to low and mix until just combined. Split the dough in two pieces, form into balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill butter.
- Remove 1 ball of dough from refrigerator at a time. Turn it out on a lightly flour surface and roll with a rolling-pin. Dough should be a rectangle about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into long rectangles 2 inch by 10 inch.
- On each rectangle, spoon 1-2 tablespoons of filling onto one end of the dough, fold the pocket over and crimp edges together with
a fork. Repeat with remaining rectangles and with second ball of refrigerated dough.
- Place each completed rectangle on a baking sheet and bake in
a 3 75° oven for 20-25 minutes. If you are unable to fit all the bars in the oven at one time, refrigerate the rest to avoid butter melting. Transfer baked bars to a wire rack to cool.