Our broccoli is grown specifically for our CSA program due to its short shelf life. We begin with starting quality seed indoors and transplant the seedlings in early April to our compost rich soils. Our crop is irrigated in a responsible and timely manner, and the consistent watering helps to produce the large, sweet head we all enjoy. This temperature sensitive crop is available for three weeks in late June to early July, and again in September and October.
Prep and Storage
- Choose heads that feel firm and do not have yellowing florets.
- Soak head upside down in cold salted water to remove any hidden dirt or field pests.
- Best used within a few days, store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
How to Use
- Remove lowest part of the stem if tough.
- Chop and separate florets into size desired.
- You can peel and cook the thick part of the broccoli stem also, slice 1/4″ thick or dice and add to your favorite recipe.
- Cook for a brief amount of time to retain the most nutrients, either steaming or sauteing work well.